HNPAT References & Links
- Coastal Prairie Partnership
- Katy Prairie Conservancy
- Monarchs & Milkweeds in Texas and on Coastal Prairie
- NWRC Coastal Prairie Research Program
Books and Publications (Curated by the Coastal Prairie Partnership)
ECOSYSTEM-LEVEL BOOKS and RESOURCES
- The Coastal Prairie Ecosystem, F.E. Smeins, D.D. Diamond, and C.W. Hanselka
- Houston Atlas of Biodiversity, Houston Wilderness, Texas A&M Press, Houston Wilderness
- Paradise Lost?: The Coastal Prairie of Texas and Louisiana, Allain, L., M. Vidrine, V.Grafe, C. Allen and S. Johnson, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service and U.S. Geological Survey
PRAIRIE HISTORY BOOKS
- Cajun Prairie: A Natural History, Malcolm Vidrine – Excellent resource for understanding the human and biological history of the Cajun Prairie.
- Texas Beyond History: Native Peoples of the Coastal Prairies and Marshlands in Early Historic Times – an online resource
RESTORATION AND HOW-TO BOOKS
- Coastal Prairie Plant Growers’ Handbook, Allain, L., Gonzalez, J., Hannah, F., Solomon, T.
- The Tallgrass Restoration Handbook: For Prairies, Savannas, and Woodlands, Mutel, C.F. and Packard, S., Society for Ecological Restoration
BIODIVERSITY BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Texas Snakes: Identification, Distribution, and Natural History, John E. Werler & James R. Dixon University of Texas Press
- Butterflies of North America (Kaufman Focus Guides), Jim P. Brock & Kenn Kaufman, Houghton Mifflin Company
- Peterson first Guide to Caterpillars of North America, Amy Barlett Wright, Houghton Mifflin Company
- The Mammals of Texas, William B. Davis & David J. Schmidly, Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept.
- The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America, David Allen Sibley, Alfred A. Knopf, Inc.
- Range Plants (The W.L. Moody, Jr. Natural History Series), Stephan L. Hatch & Jennifer Pluhar, Texas A&M University Press
- Wildflowers of Texas, Geyata Ajilvsgi, Shearer Publishing
- Wildflowers of Houston and Southeast Texas, John & Gloria Tveten, University of Texas Press
- Gardening, John K. Boring, Erica Glasener, Glenn Keator, Jim Knopf, Jane Scott, Sally Wasowski, The Nature Company
- How to Attract Hummingbirds and Butterflies, Ortho Books, Chevron Chemical Company
- Trees of Texas: An Easy Guide to Leaf Identification, Carmine Stahl and; Ria McElvaney, Texas A and M University Press
Coastal Prairie Map
A map for publicly accessible, K-12 & College, and Special Access Required Prairie sites in Texas and Louisiana. Map created and maintained by Coastal Prairie Partnership (Jaime Gonzalez) and the Native Prairies Association of Texas – Houston Chapter (Della Barbato). Tip: Click on the square icon in the upper right corner to view fullscreen.