HNPAT: All About Milkweeds & Monarchs in Texas & on Coastal Prairie
Compiled by Jason Singhurst, Ben Hutchins, and Walter C. Holmes
- How to germinate and grow native milkweeds, especially Asclepias tuberos by Professor (retired) Malcolm Vidrine. (Scroll down to page 3).
- How to germinate and grow native milkweeds by Barbara Willy of Monarch Gateway.
- Thanks to Doris Heard for sending the Spring, 2014, Cajun Prairie Habitat Preservation Society newsletter which contains two wonderful articles on milkweeds. The first has photos of many native milkweeds. The second is the above article on germination and growing milkweeds.
- Malcolm Vidrine’s talk on Milkweeds & Monarchs in April, 2015 at the Native Plant Society of Texas, Houston Chapter: video and power point (to view power point, just use right or left arrow on computer). Additional information: here is a link to scientific posters about the Cajun Prairie (part of the Coastal Prairie of LA & TX) developed by Dr. Malcolm Vidrine’s honors class. … 2008
- Barbara Willy Link to Barbara Willy’s talk on Monarchs and Milkweeds at HNPAT in February, 2015: Full Talk and Partial Talk
- “Milkweed More Than Just a Monarch Host” Great article about other insects that live on milkweeds by Almost Eden, a nursery in Louisiana that sells non-native and native plants and sent by Diane Foss, Texas Park & Wildlife Department and posted on Native Plant Society of Texas – Houston website.
- Map of native milkweeds and where they grow – sent by Michael Eckenfels
- The Xerces Society’s milkweed seed finder tool to locate seeds for native milkweed species – sent by Michael Eckenfels
- Monarch Watch: http://www.monarchwatch.org/
- OE Fact Sheet & the Risk of Growing Exotic Milkweed for Monarchs by Monarch Joint Venture