Deer Park Prairie open for City Nature Challenge 2021 on May 1, 10am – 2pm
It’s April – City Nature Challenge Month!
CNC is a worldwide contest: everyone can participate and help Greater Houston win!
Don’t know what this is? Join the Houston – Native Plant Society of Texas (H-NPSOT) on Thursday, April 15, 2021, at 7 p.m. to learn from TWPD biologist Craig Hensley on how to use iNaturalist and participate (for newbies) and how your data is used (for past participants). Register for the Zoom meeting where you can ask questions via chat or view the talk on Youtube Live.
Also view previous blog to learn more about the Houston-Galveston area CNC -from Jaime Gonzalez, one of the CNC coordinators for this area.
The over 50 acres of Deer Park Prairie will be open to CNC participants to take photos.
- Date & Time: Saturday, May 1, 2021 between 10 a.m. & 2 p.m.
- Location: 1222 East Purdue Lane, Deer Park, TX 77536
- Visitors must bring a signed copy of the liability release and sign in at the back porch.
- Please add your photos to the Deer Park Prairie project on iNaturalist (www.inaturalist.org/projects/deer-park-prairie-biodiversity)
- Normal visitation rules:
- Minors must be accompanied by an adult
- No firearms, motor vehicles, alcohol, or smoking on the prairie
- No loud music or noise – it disturbs the wildlife
- Leave only footsteps and take only photos: please take out your trash and do not pick flowers, seeds, plants.
- The house will NOT be open – there will be no bathroom facilities
- Please abide by Covid-19 guidelines:
- Facemasks are mandatory in the front, side, and backyard of the house. Facemasks are mandatory when around others not in your household
- Practice social distancing: Stay at least 6 feet away from others not in your household. With over 50 acres, there should be sufficient space on the prairie for social distancing.
- Groups of more than 10 are not allowed.