Bush Ranch / Simpson Prairie Field Trip
This is a rare opportunity to visit the prairie restorations at Prairie Chapel Ranch, followed by a trip to nearby Simpson Prairie! Prairie Chapel Ranch is better known as “the Western White House” and is owned by former President George W. and First Lady Laura Bush. The ranch has several prairie restorations and is managed by Mike Williams, owner of Simpson Prairie.
Mike has been using prairie seed collected from Simpson Prairie as the main seed source for the prairie restoration project on Prairie Chapel Ranch, where he is planting native plants such as the native grasses and prairie flowers that thrived on the land before European settlement.
Mike protected Simpson Prairie, a rare and beautiful remnant of Texas tallgrass prairie, for current and future generations via a conservation easement with NPAT. A conservation easement is a voluntary agreement between a landowner and land trust which permanently protects native prairie or other natural features of the property in perpetuity.
Additional seed sources for the prairie restoration project on the Bush Ranch include NPAT members Bob and Mickey Burleson’s native prairie remnant and restoration near Temple, TX.
Field Trip Information
Registration for the Bush Ranch trip closed on October 11th!
For attendees, here are the details:
- When: Friday, October 25th
- Where: We will meet at the bank parking lot on the northwest corner of the main intersection in Crawford and then proceed to Prairie Chapel Ranch (click the link for a map). After touring Prairie Chapel Ranch we will continue on to Simpson Prairie.
- Time: 9:30 am CST
- Cost: Members will be charged a nominal fee of $5, while non-members will be $15. Become a member and save! Members can register non-members at the $5/person level.
- Lunch: Bring a sack lunch to enjoy after the Prairie Chapel Ranch portion of the trip and water.
- Prairie Chapel Ranch has mown trails, while Simpson Prairie is unmown. Expect tall fall grasses and dress accordingly.
All visitors to Prairie Chapel Ranch are subject to a background check from the Secret Service. ONLY ATTENDEES ON THE LIST ARE ALLOWED TO VISIT THE BUSH RANCH. If you have any questions, please call the office at 512-392-2288. Thank you!